The 96th Highlanders Pipe Band
For more great photos and history, see the 96th web page.
96th Overseas Battalion, Canadian Highlanders 1916
Canada raised 260 battalions in WW I, one of which was the 96th Highlanders Battalion of the Canadian Expeditionary Force (CEF) from Saskatoon and area. Due to the high casualty rate of units already overseas, the 96th Highlanders battalion was eventually absorbed into other battalions as reinforcements.
[From the 96th Highlanders web site]
It includes a list of committee members, pipe majors, drum majors, instructors and details about performances, awards and travel.
These are the first members who went to Regina to play at CKCK.
L-R: Sheila Scott, Donna Rainey, Norrie Shephard, Shirly McDonald, Irene Scott, Alice Matheson, Betty Prentice.
CLICK HERE for the large view.
|The band's first official photo in 1957. P-M Sheila Scott.
Click HERE for large view.
Sprigs O' Heather Girls Pipe Band
Colleen Watson, Marlene Mrourinski, Brenda Buchanan, Donna Dawson, Sandra McKenzie,
Jennifer King, Marlee Mitchell, Cathy Wilson, Jane Dobrenu, Cheryl Mitchell, Leslie Fysh,
Nancy Merikle, Darlene Peterman, Anita Peterman, Maureen Steel, Connie Crosby, Rorena Resch
Sprigs O' Heather Girls Pipe Band - 1961
|Preparing for a parade. 1971 or '72|
| Sprigs O' Heather Girls Pipe Band - 1970s
This picture of the Sprigs was taken sometime in the 1970s in Crescent Park, Moose Jaw.
|The Sprigs O' Heather Girls Pipe Band
This photo was taken in the late 1970s during the Moose Jaw Kinsmen Band Festival
The Sprigs O' Heather Girls Pipe Band
Two Moose Jaw Pipe Bands
This photo was taken in 1983 and features L-R: Jim McWilliams and Lachlan McWilliams of the White Hackle Pipe Band, and Wendy and Sharon Lee of the Sprigs o' Heather Girls' Pipe Bans
Outdoor Mural in Moose Jaw
The 16/22 Saskatchewan Horse Regiment
Jock Chalmers of Weyburn was often on the judging panels in the late 1960s and 70s, and he was an ex-Scot who served with the 16/22 Horse, and was posted overseas. In a 1974 letter to Jim McWilliams, he writes:
"To begin with, the Regiment was mobilized around 1940 from the Lloydminster area. Their commanding officer was Lt. Col. Van Allen, although not a piper himself, he was an ardent lover of the music of the Great Highland Bagpipes and of course it was him who was the great influence behind the forming of the Pipe Band. As I have mentioned before they weren't approved by the Can. armed services and were strictly sponsored by the regiment, and I would imagine some outside help. We were in the army records as buck privates, not pipers.
There were 15 pipers and 7 drummers. Nine of the pipers were originally from the Hebrides, the Island of South Uist, one from the Island of Lewis, three from the mainland of Scotland - including myself - and two Canadians with a Scottish background, who were pupils of mine and members of the Weyburn St. Andrew's Society Pipe Band. Most of them were good pipers and took pride in their pipes going like bells or humming like bees, as the saying goes."
Jim was collecting information on the bands and passed all this information on to the SPBA. The letters are really worth reading for John's (Jock) history of the 16/22, and also for his obsercvations of Scottish and Canadian piping. Another letter is from Roderick McMillan, who was also an original member of the 16/22. They both give interesting details of the formation of the regiment, the origin of the members, and Joch Chalmers has many interesting details about the uniforms and style of playing.
From the Canadian Forces web site:
The 16th/22nd Saskatchewan Horse mobilized the '16th/22nd Saskatchewan Horse, CASF' for active service on 24 May 1940.72 It was redesignated: '20th Reconnaissance Battalion (16/22 Saskatchewan Horse), CAC, CASF' on 26 January 1942;73 and '20th Army Tank Regiment (16/22 Saskatchewan Horse), CAC, CASF' on 15 May 1942.74 On 16 June 1943 it embarked for Great Britain.75 The battalion was disbanded on 1 November 1943.76
History of the Regina Pipe Band
By J.A. MacKay
12th District Signals
The Regina Pipe Band was organized in the fall of 1926 when a group of local pipers and those interested met in the Canadian Legion Rooms on Albert Street. However it wasn’t until the spring of 1927 that any semblance of a band could be got together. The first picture of the band was taken at Fort Qu’Appelle on July 1st, 1927. This was the first out of town engagement.
The Following are in the picture:
Pipers: W. Douglas; G.Douglas; T. Mitchell; J.Reid; J. Robertson; W.Henderson; W. MacGregor; H. Bond; T. Pattison; D. Grant J. MacKay, G. Brown, J. Cadger, H. McMaster. (To my knowledge, this is the only occasion that the Douglas brothers were out with the band.)
Drummers: T. Temple; J. Price; D Haggarty; J. MacGeachin; W. Cairns; J. Nelson; B. Grant;
Executive Members of the Band: D. MacDougall, President; T. Temple, Secretary-Treasurer; Committee, Major M.A. MacPerson, Colonel S. Parker, Capt. T Mitchell, Capt. J. Lamb; Wm. MacGregor, W.H. McDiarmid; Bert Grant; J. Snellgrove; J.MacKay.
In the fall of 1927, Capt. Mitchell was appointed Pipe Major. Right from the beginning the band contributed much to the social life of Regina and district. And was much in demand for parades and social functions. Practice was done in the basement of Victoria School, which was not very satisfactory and not always available. In the fall of 1928 Col Parker, a member of the band committee and also a Colonel of the 12th District Signal Corps (militia), had a brain wave, and took the matterup with Military district! Through his efforts the band became known as the 12th District Signals Pipe Band.
The band by this time had acquired their own kilts, sporrans, spats and hosetops and adapted white shirts with waist belts as their uniform. On becoming The 12th District Signals Pipe Band they were issued tunics by the unit. They purchased leather cross belts for the pipers from the band funds.
A number of the pipers and a few of the drummers did not sign on with the “Signals.” These included T. Mitchell. Douglas Grant, H. MacMaster, J.Cadger, J. MacGeachin. It was at this time Wm. Macgregor was appointed Pipe Major. At least they now had a regular place to practice-first in the Whitmore building on 8th Avenue and then to the Armouries after the building was completed.
The first picture of the band taken in uniform was in August 1929. Those in the picture are: Pipe Major MacGregor, Pipe Sergeant Juried. Pipers: J. Roberston, T. Pattison, Wm. Henderson, H. Bond, A. Stewart, J MacDonald, T. Grear, N. Sutherland, A. Drysdale, D. Elder, D. MacKay. Drummers: J. Simpson, J. Price, J. Nelson, H. Livingstone, R. MacLure, J. MacLure, Wm. Cairns and Drum Major Bert Grant.
1928-31 were memorable years in the history of the band. Apart from local parades, they travelled to many points to perform. In addition they performed in summer months on alternate Sunday evenings with the Regina Rifle Regiment Band in Wascana Park. During those years the Highland Games were in full swing in Regina. They were sponsored by Camp Balmoral, Sons of Scotland Benevolent Association and the band members did very well in the competition. In 1929, Neil Sutherland won the grand aggregate with pipers from Winnipeg to B.C. competing. In 1930, P/M Wm Macgregor placed 1st in marches and third in strathspey & reel losing out by a few points to Wm Cruickshank of Winnipeg, who had placed 1st in the piobroch, 3rd in the marches and 2nd in the strathspey and reel. Another of our pipers, A. Stewart, placed 3rd in the piobroch, the only Sask. Piper to get a prize in that event. Other prizewinners in the band were T. Gear and J. MacDonald.. Wm. MacGregor had a big day. In addition to his piping, he just missed capturing the grand aggregate in highland dancing when his shoe becoming undone while he was dancing the hornpipe.
1929-1930 were the big years of the games. 1928 was for the most part Saskatchewan talent only. Jock Chalmers of Weyburn took the grand aggregate in piping and Jean Gaul of Regina the dancing. Other prizewinners were: W. Douglas; D. Kennedy, T. Pattison; A. Stewart. 1931 was a disastrous year for the games. The depression was having its affect on both rich and poor alike with the result only about 200 people attended the games and to make matters worse dust storm raged all day to add to the discomfort of both spectators and competitors alike. The prizewinners that day were: A. Stewart, T. Pattison, J. MacKay, H. Bond. Other Sask. winners were D. Kennedy, J. Chalmers, and J. Hosie. The Sons of Scotland had a deficit of approximately $700 for the day. That was the last of the Highland Games for Regina. They were never started up again until much later. One can readily understand the deficit when you consider $500 was paid out to pipers and dancers alone.
The depression also struck a severe blow to the band. Through lack of work, many of the members left to seek employment elsewhere. Neil Sutherland, T. Grear, D. Elder, D MacKay, and J. MacDonald all left the city. They were followed one year later by A. Drysdale. The Band however was fortunate to get one replacement, who proved to be a great asset in the person of Andy MacKintosh. Despite their losses in manpower, they continued to carry on and through the good guidance of Pipe Major MacGregor, and by 1934 it was really a first class band. That was the year the World Grain Show was held in Regina. It was also the first time the band played at the Wolf Point Montana Stampede.
They had played at Wolf Point in 1933 at the opening of the new bridge across the Big Muddy and were invited to play at the Big Stampede the following year. Another new piper had arrived in the city from Scotland. Dave Robertson also proved himself an asset. The band at that time was: P/M MacGregor, P/Sgt. J. Reid, T. Pattison, J. Robertson, A. Stewart, A. MacKintosh, D. Robertson, Wm. Henderson , J. MacKay and J. Chalmers of Weyburn helped out on occasion. Another was Ross Wilson, a pupil of Wm Macgregor. The Drum section was: J. Price, J. Nelson, R. Mclure, J. McClure, H. Livingstone, J. Simpson and Bert Grant Drum Major. As the depression grew worse, however, more of the band members found it necessary to pull up roots. Juried resigned and Tom Pattison became Pipe/Sgt. Hugh Bond, one of the original members, left for eastern Canada, Bill Henderson met with an accident at his work and was obliged to give up piping. One year later, Tom Pattison was transferred by his company to Winnipeg. Jim Simpson the bass drummer resigned through ill health. Harry Livingstone also decided he had had enough.
By the year 1938 the membership of the band was very low. There was, however, a silver lining, many of the pipers had been bringing along pupils and with a few graduates from the Regina Boys Pipe Band they were able to turn out a fair-sized band.. The first of the boys to come over was Ian MacLeod, a bass drummer. Pipers L Hood, W. Mackay, Ed Black, Murray Wilkie, Vern Murray and also H. McIntyre, drummer and Harry Todd, drummer.
On July 1st, 1939, the band was invited to play at the Swift Current Pioneer Celebrations in the “Frontier City.” The band at that time was: P/M Wm MacGregor, J. MacKay, J. Robertson, A. Stewart, A. MacKintosh, W. MacKay, L. Hood, M. Wilkie, V. Murray, Ed Black, Ross Wilson, Drummers: J. Price , J. Nelson, Ian MacLeod, H, McIntyre, H. Todd,W. Eddy Keating.
The band suffered a great loss that year in the passing of Bert Grant, who always worked hard for the band. He had charge of the equipment and was to be found in the drum room, every practice night, seeing that everything was in order for the next parade. John Nelson also worked hard in this connection.
On the 5th of September, 1939 world war broke out and the band went down to its lowest ebb. Practically all the younger members of the band joined the active force and the band was left with only three pipers and one drummer: P/M Wm MacGregor, J. Robertson, and J. Mackay pipers and J. Nelson drummer. That was the band that played away the first draft of men to leave Regina that year, forming up at the armouries, and marching to the Union Depot. In the meantime, the Boys Band was also having troubles. and was unable to find an instructor. The executive called a meeting and disbanded the band. The Signals Band was fortunate in this regard and acquired four of their pipers and drummers. Jack Robertson left to live in Vancouver about the same time Hugh Roberts had come to Regina and joined the band. During the war years, despite their small numbers the band continued to play a prominent part in the military and social life of Regina.
The band during the war years was: P/M Wm MacGregor, J. MacKay, J. Duncan, H. Roberts, George Crawford, Ray Sneddon, Dunc Fisher, M. MacKay, Owen (Bud) Smail, Neil MacKay, J. Nelson, J. Bates, D. McTaggaart, H. Purdy, Clem Setchell, C. Hill, G. Mitchell, and A. Pritchard.
1945 saw the end of hostilities and many of the boys came back to rejoin the band. Unfortunately some did not return. These had made the supreme sacrifice: Ross Wilson, Dave MacKay and Willie Wilkie. Willie-although never signed up with the band-helped them out on occasion, having been the pipe major of the Boys Band. Jim Price was badly wounded in the leg, which left him a cripple for life. The ones returning to rejoin the band were: A. MacKintosh, Wm. Mackay, and Murray Wilkie. By the end of the 1940s and early 1950s, the band had again risen from the ashes to the status of a 1st class band. In addition to the pipers above mentioned, three splendid pipers had come out from Scotland and joined the band. Andy McAnsh, Mat MacLennan and Angus Spence.
The younger members of the band, who had graduated from the Boys Band, had gained in experience. They were no longer boys, but clean-cut young men, and although they may have lacked some of the polish of some of their predecessors, they more than off-set that with their enthusiasm and determination to make good. They proved it at Saskatoon on May 24th 1954 when they won the pipe band contest by eight points over their closest rivals. The credit again must go to Pipe Major MacGregor for his untiring efforts in bringing the band up to the high standard it showed that day with its rendition of The Duke of Roxborough’s Farewell to the Blackmount Forest, Maggie Cameron and Loch Carron. The Band that day was: P/M Wm MacGregor, P/Sgt J. MacKay, J. Duncan, A. Spence, Wm. Mackay, A McAnsh, G. Crawford, R. Sneddon. Some of the drummers were unable to make the trip to Saskatoon and Matt MacLennan, one of the pipers took the lead drum. Other drummers were: Bud Smail, Neil Mackay, A. Pritchard.
The gathering at Saskatoon was the last appearance of Jock MacKay, who had retired and was moving to Victoria, B.C. to make his home. With his departure Wm Macgregor became the only member left of the old original band. This proud record of dedication stood for many years. Willie MacGregor retired as Pipe Major in 1958 and was accorded one of the most memorable evenings by pipers drummers and acquaintances from all parts of Canada, taking the form of one great night of piping and drumming. For a time he took a spot that he wanted in the band-back rank left side-where he had the opportunity of hearing his drone sound and felt very comfortable. Jim Duncan was appointed Pipe Major for a short term, and he was succeeded by Pipe-Major George Crawford. MacGregor moved to Victoria B.C. in 1959, while Jimmy Duncan retired to Mission, B.C. When the Royal Canadian Corps of Signals was reduced to dormant strength, the band was sought after by 10th Field Regiment Royal Canadian Artillery and the Royal Regina Rifle Regiment. The Military District Command ordered the band moved to the Artillery Regiment.
12th District Signals Pipe Band
1957 This was the local militia pipe band in Regina after WW2.
Photo: Duncan Fisher
12th District Signals Pipe Band
Bill Pritchard [whose dad was the lead drummer, and later a piper] writes:
"I had my dad send me this picture of the 10th Field from the early 50s.
Some of the names are missing, but maybe someone knows who they are".
Front Row Pipe major Willie Mac Gregor, Angus Spence, Jock Lee
Second Row Bill MacKay,?--Morris MacKay
Third Row George Crawford, Ray Sneddon
Fourth Row Tenor Drummer Owen Smail, Bass ?MacKay Tenor drum ?
Fifth Row Lead Drum Alistair Pritchard, Al Butler,Bill Killick
Sixth Row ? ? ?
The information on the Prince Albert Pipe Band was provided by Stan Dunville, husband of the late Nellie [Forrest] Dunville, who was a member of the pipe band, and also the daughter of noted Prince Albert piper James Forrest. Our thanks also to the Prince Albert Historical Society for their assistance in providing correspondence, photographs and information.
The Prince Albert Pipe Band playing at the fair in 1909. Note the size of the snare drums!
The Prince Albert Pipe Band at City Hall, sometime after 1930.
Prince Albert Pipe Band, 1980s. P-M Dave Monette.
Welcome to the SPBA archives. The goal is to provide accurate information on the bands of Saskatchewan past and present.
The SPBA is indebted to the many individuals near and far who have contributed photos and other items. If we have failed to credit you, please let us know!
The archive has been set up to highlight both pipe bands and individuals who have been important to the history and development of the music. We are still in search of photos of some bands from the past, including The St. Andrews Pipe Band of Weyburn, the Swift Current Green Braes, Yorktown & District Pipe Band, and many others.
Please get in touch if you have photos or other information that would add to the collection.
This Corps was formed 1 Dec 1971 and known as 2901 Estevan (Elks) PPCLI Army Cadet Corps. It was sponsored by the BPO Elks Estevan Lodge 113. It was affiliated with 1 PPCLI.
A more complete history of the cadet corps and its activities can be found HERE.
This section describes the forming of the cadet pipe band, It was written by long-time cadet officer and SPBA Board Member Capt. Robert Rooks, CD.
2901 Estevan (Elks) Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry Royal Canadian Army Cadet Corps. (1971-80)The single largest undertaking of the corps was when the decision was made to form a pipe and drum band. Prior to the bands formation, DR. Donald Burlinquette, Robert Rooks and Captain Fred Slater spent about two years checking out the possibilities of this project. After talking to some pipers and other people involved with pipe bands, they gathered a lot of information but could not find any instructors. In June of 1976 when the corps hosted the Sprigs O'Heather pipe band from Moose Jaw during the Estevan Tatoo, their band manager, Doug, Uhrick told us of an excellent piper -- Mr. John (Jock) Chalmers of Weyburn and a top side drummer, Miss Irene Scott, an Estevan school teacher. After being approached these two instructors said they could teach the cadets how to play the pipes and drums but the instructors of the corps would have to handle the operation of the band. The corps liaison officer, Lieutenant Colonel Sandy Bannatyne, was approached and he gave the corps the tentative go ahead on behalf of the Elks Lodge. The Department of National Defence gave the corps the authority to form a band. Lieutenant Burlinquette was appointed Band Officer and the recruiting for pipers and drummers started in September, 1976. The band members practiced with only practice chanters and drum sticks until February, 1977 when the bagpipes and drums arrived from Scotland and England. The Estevan Elks Lodge No. 113 provided about $13,000.00 to pay for the instruments and uniforms. By May, 1977 the band had learned "Scotland the Brave" and performed at the Estevan Tatoo. In the fall of 1977 the kilts arrived. The kilt is the dark green "Hunting Stewrt" tartan, which was adopted by the PPCLI at the onset of World War I.
The band put a great strain on the corps with the other activities of the corps being somewhat neglected. However the corps achieved another first for the City of Estevan with the development of this pipe and drum band.
In the fall of 1978 the Corps set out to rebuild a strong corps with the band. By February, 1980 this objective has been achieved by having a full complement of highly trained officers and cadets. The Corps and band stand on a strong foundation and the future looks bright for a young and very proud cadet corps.
Photo Taken 1993
L-R: Captain Robert Rooks, P-M Glen-mary From, Mary Walliser, Angela Woodhouse, Michelle Walliser, Angela Durr
Back Row: Andrew Dinsmore, Curtis Dunford, Chad Wilmot, Lane Gross.
The 10th Field Regiment RCA
The 10th Field Regiment Pipe Band has formed from the former 12th Signals Pipe Band after that unit was scrapped, and the band formed an integral part of Regina activities for many years. George Crawford was a Regina lad who took over as pipe-major of the band, and he led it for many years, including successful tours to perform in the USA and Europe. Angus Spence was pipe-major for a time, and eventually the band could not maintain the numbers for an active unit, and it was pulled from service in Regina.
The band was very active in the 1960s and especially the 1970s, when it made several trips to play at the World Curling Championships.
This band also cut a vinyl record in the 1970s called "Pipes and Powder."
Photo: Duncan Fisher
10th Field Regiment, RCA
This photo was taken while the band was on parade in Switzerland (?) for the World Curling Championships.
Photo: Duncan Fisher
The band travelled to Berne, Switzerland in 1974 to perform at the World Curling Championships.
Members on the left (including Don McDonald, centre) are from the North Sask Regiment, and on the right is Duncan Fisher.
Massed Band in Regina Exhibition Stadium (1971)
Features the 10th Field Regt RCA Pipes & Drums (P-M George Crawford); the Wa Wa Shrine Pipes & Drums (P-M Duncan Fisher); and the Fraser Pipe Band (P-M Doug Lutz).
Here is a photo of massed bands playing for World's Curling Selection committee choosing site for 1973 Silver Broom World Curling Championship... They were checking out the Exhibition stadium in Regina.. The building was in darkness and the committee were having difficulty seeing anything.. When all at once the door at the end of the stadium opened up and the massed bands came forward as the lights came up .. this was an idea of Doug Lee and George Crawford that was credited with the committee choosing to bring the event to Regina in 1973.
click for larger view
Cover Photo from Album "Pipes & Powder" (1976)
Features the 10th Field Regt RCA Pipes & Drums (P-M George Crawford)
This was the cover photo on the long-playing vinyl record the band recorded to celebrate the centennial of the Royal Canadian Artillery Association.
Not many of the band members were able to make the photo.
The information on the Prince Albert Girls' Pipe Band was provided by Stan Dunville, husband of the late Nellie [Forrest] Dunville, who was a member of the pipe band, and also the daughter of noted Prince Albert piper James Forrest. Our thanks also to the Prince Albert Historical Society for their assistance in providing correspondence, photographs and information.
The following notes about the band were written by Nellie Dunville.
" Formed in 1936. Practiced in this building [former firehall]. Leader and instructor in pipes was James M. Forrest. Bill Rowhead instructed in drumming. Parents of the girls raised money for instruments and uniforms through bake sales, raffles and tag days. The city gave some financial assistance. MacKenzie tartan kilts and green tunics were worn. The band formed part of the parade in Saskatoon at the timre of the visit of King George VI and Queen Elizabeth. They also played in a number of parafdes in Prince Albert and surrounding towns. When Mr. Forrest joined the Veterans' Guard of Canada, Tom Fleming became the leader of the band. Due to depletion of members through moving away and marriage, the band was dissolved about 1944. Three of the girls from the band later joined the Canadian Women's Army Corps Pipe Band. Band members: Iris Still, Lois McConnell, Alice Wilson, Margaret Laidlaw, Lavina Johnston, Marion Gee, Lorraine Ellens, Babe Pirie, Helen Pirie, Phyllis Brouard, Eleanor Patterson, Eleanor Motherwell, Pauline Broderick, Mary MacIsaac, Josephine Siwack, Nellie Forrest, Jean McCulloch Bliss assisted [Highland dance teacher]."
Above, left to right: Nellie Forrest, Phyllis Brourard, Pat Irvine, Iris Still. In front of the Prince Albert Fire Hall, 1942.
Above, left to right: [back] Bill Rowland (Drum Major), Lavina Johnston, ?, Babe Pirie (Corrigal), Mary MacIsaac, Margaret Laidlaw (McKenzie), Alice Wilson (Middlebrook). ?, Jean Bliss (McCulloch);
[front row] Lois McConnell (Robb), Phyllis Brouard (Kane), ?, Pat Irvine, Helen Pirie.
[married names in brackets]
The Prince Albert Girls' Pipe Band parading down Central Avenue in Prince Albert, 1942, leading members of the New Zealand Air Force.
We have tried to locate as much information about Saskatchewan pipe bands as we can. Many people have kindly sent photos, clippings and other items for us to scan and use, and the SPBA is very grateful for this assistance. Do you have old piping/drumming photos, programs or other items in your house that should be part of the collective memory of piping in Saskatchewan? Be sure to contact the SPBA.
Some of these bands were formed specifically for World War I, and some were community bands. Some bands had their start in the early years, and continued through subsequent eras.
|The 96th Highlanders
|The 46th Battalion, CEF
[Moose Jaw, WWI]
|The Nellie Small Kilted Band
|The Saskatoon Caledonian Pipe Band|
|The Prince Albert Pipe Band|
|The Regina Boys' Pipe Band|
|The Prince Albert Girls' Pipe Band
World War II Era
|The 16/22 Saskatchewan Horse Regiment
[World War II]
|St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church Boy's Pipe Band
|The 12th District Signals Pipe Band [Regina]
Early Regina pipe band history.
|The Saskatoon Light Infantry
North Saskatchewan Regiment
2nd NSR [Kindersley]
|Article on SK female pipers in the CWAC Pipe Band, 1940s|
1950s and 1960s
Following WWII, many new immigrants came to Saskatchewan, including many Scots with significant army and pipe band experience. This era saw the beginning of many new pipe bands, and especially youth bands, in Saskatoon, Moose Jaw and Regina.
|The Saskatoon Boys' Pipe Band|
|The Bonnie Bluebells Girls' Pipe Band
|The Weyburn St. Andrews Pipe Band
The Weyburn Legion
|The Sprigs o' Heather Girls' Pipe Band
|The St. Andrews Society
The White Hackle
|The Regina Boys and Girls Pipe Band [1965-1974]
The Fraser Pipe Band [1974-2011]
|The Saskatoon Police|
|The 10th Field Regiment, Royal Canadian Artillery
|The Wa Wa Shrine Pipes & Drums
|1970s and beyond
By the mid to late 1970s, many former youth members were looking for adult pipe bands, and many not looking for the military or police style "parade bands," but competition focussed groups. Many of these people had been influenced by instructors and other students at the Fort San Summer schools, and an understanding of the new trends in larger pipe band communities.
The Green Braes Pipe Band
|The Clan Scotia [1976-84]
|Victoria Park Pipe Band [1976-2002]
|The Clansmen [late 1970s]|
|Strathfleet Pipe Band
|The Regina Scottish Pipe Band
|The Regina Police Service Pipes & Drums|
|The 703 RCACC Pipes & Drums|
|The Celtic Fire Pipe Band
|The City of Regina Pipe Band
[1992 - ]
|The Yorkton & District Pipe Band|
Summer School Photos
Starting in 1967, piping and drumming summer camps started having an immediate and long-lasting impact on soloists and pipe bands in the region. Players such as P-M Donald MacLeod, M.B.E., Pipe-Major John A. MacLellan, M.B.E., P-M Jimmy MacGregor, Colin MacLellan, Drum-Major Geordie Pryde, D-M John Kerr brought their significant knowledge and experience to bear on players locally.
|Summer Schools at Fort San