spba logo trans

  SASKATCHEWAN PIPE BAND ASSOCIATION

Archive

The SPBA online archive.

North Saskatchewan Regiment

The Saskatoon Light Infantry Pipe Band
The North Saskatchewan Regiment Pipe Band
The 2nd NSR [Kindersley]
For more great photos and history, see the SLI/NSR web page.
Anyone want to contribute one for here?

 1947band

The Saskatoon Light Infantry Pipe Band - May 1947
Photo: Don McDonald

The North Saskatchewan Regiment, formerly the SLI has a long history in Saskatchewan,
most of it directed by two members of one family, Pipe Major Hugh Fraser,
and his younger brother Don McDonald.

The Pipes and Drums of the Saskatoon Light Infantry were formed in 1942 by Pipe Major Duncan Campbell at the request of the late Lt. Col. A. McNeil, Commanding Officer of the Second S.L.I. The Second S.L.I. were disbanded on the return of the First Battalion from overseas service in 1945 but the Pipes and Drums were adopted as the Band of the unit.

Although the Pipes and Drums were retained by the Saskatoon Light INfantry, they were not officially part of the unit. The pipers and drummers were machine gunners, or carrier drivers who performed their band parades in addition to their regimental duties. It was not until 1955 that the Pipes and Drums became an officially authorized part of the unit establishment. [From the SLI web site]

 HLI 1951

The Saskatoon Light Infantry Pipe Band - October 1951
Photo: Don McDonald

sasakatoon games1960

The Saskatoon Light Infantry Pipe Band - 1960

Competing at the Saskatoon Highland Games.
Photo: NSR web site

hugh games

The Saskatoon Light Infantry Pipe Band - 1960

Pipe-Major Hugh Fraser, M.M.M., CD gives words of wisdom to Bill Remenda. Bill's Mom Jean Remenda was well known as a Highland dancer, dance teacher and adjudicator, and for many years worked at Tartantown in Coquitlam, BC. 
Photo: NSR web site

berne1974

The North Saskatchewan Regiment Pipe Band - 1974

The NSR and the 10th Field Regiment bands travelled to Berne, Switzerland to perform at the Air Canada Silver Broom, The World Curling Championships.
Photo: NSR web site

colours 1975

The North Saskatchewan Regiment Pipe Band - 1975

Presentation of new colours.
Photo: NSR web site

band78

The North Saskatchewan Regiment Pipe Band - 1978

Photo: NSR web site

 hugh don

Don McDonald (L) and
Hugh Fraser (R)
Don and Hugh were half brothers, and for half a century made piping and drumming a reality in Saskatoon. Pipe Major Hugh Fraser was a decorated veteran of World War II, and was responsible for many great piping ventures in Saskatoon and area, and always a keen participant in piping workshops, committees and associations. Hugh passed away in Fall 2000. Don continues his good work of many years, and is currently P/M of the North Saskatchewan Regiment Pipes & Drums. Hugh's family have all been keen performers and organizers also, and continue his legacy through teaching and performance.

 nsr.folkfest

The North Saskatchewan Regiment
at Saskatoon's Folkfest in 2001
Photo: NSR web site

The North Saskatchewan Regiment had its beginnings during the Northwest Rebellion, 1885. The Saskatoon Light Infantry was active in its mobilization for World War I. Later the Regiment saw action again, during World War II.

During the Cold War: c. 1963 - 1969; the Saskatoon Light Infantry was renamed: 'The North Saskatchewan Regiment' of which there were two battalions.

The 1NSaskR was stationed in North Battleford, the 2NSaskR was head-quartered in Saskatoon and Prince Albert. There was "C" Company 2NSaskR stationed at Kindersley. Today, the Regiment is known as the North Saskatchewan Regiment.

1920.10.01 The North Saskatchewan Regiment
formed with HQ at Saskatoon, Sask., by amalgamation of 52nd Regiment Prince Albert Volunteers, and 105th Regiment (Saskatoon Fusiliers), originally in four bns, and reorganised 10.10.1920 in eight bns (four active and four reserve):
1st Battalion at Saskatoon, formed by redesignation of 105th Regiment (Saskatoon Fusiliers),
and perpetuating 5th Battalion CEF
2nd Battalion at Prince Albert, formed by redesignation of 52nd Regiment Prince Albert
Volunteers, and perpetuating 53rd Battalion CEF
3rd Battalion
4th Battalion
5th Battalion, perpetuating 65th Battalion CEF.
6th Battalion
7th Battalion
8th Battalion.

1924.05.15 broken up to form The Saskatoon Light Infantry [1st and 5th Bns],The Prince Albert Volunteers [2nd and 6th Bns], The Battleford Light Infantry, and The Yorkton Regiment

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1955.02.15 The North Saskatchewan Regiment (M.G.)
formed with HQ at Saskatoon by union of The Prince Albert and Battleford Volunteers and The Saskatoon Light Infantry
1st Bn, NSR (The Prince Albert and Battleford Volunteers)
formed by redesignation of The Prince Albert and Battleford Volunteers
2nd Bn, NSR (The Saskatoon Light Infantry)
formed by redesignation of The Saskatoon Light Infantry

1958.04.11 The North Saskatchewan Regiment
1970.09.01 1st Bn and 2nd Bn amalgamated

[Information courtesy of NSR web sire]

2ndNSRPipe Band 

The 2nd North Saskatchewan Regiment - about 1962
Kindersley, SK

In the picture, on the left is Pipe Major Stuart Kolbinson, on the right is Eldon Johnson and behind him, Vic Rea.
Read Stuart's history of the band. [PDF]

Photo: Valla Eriksson [daughter of Stuart Kolbinson]

St. Andrews Boys' Pipe Band/White Hackle, Moose Jaw

 MJ 1952

Moose Jaw Orange Picnic
Wild Animal Park, 1952
File at left, front to back: Dick Gibson, Bob Doul, Andy McAnsh, Everet Andrews, Ron Nicolson; || 2nd file: Reid Andrews, Jim McWilliams || Middle: D/M Bill Rohead, Bass drummer Wayne Greentree || 3rd file: Bill Spence, Bob Amiss, ? || Right: Reg. Frizzelle, Ken Cairney, George Crawford, Lyle Andrews

Comment from Dick Gibson: This pic was of the Moose Jaw St. Andrews Society Boy's Pipe Band performing at the Orangemen's picnic On July 12th. at the Moose Jaw Wild Animal Park. Acting Pipe Major was Dick Gibson. It included two pipers from the Regina Pipe Band.

 
MJ band 1953 

Moose Jaw Pipe Band
City Hall Gardens, 1953

 standrews

The St. Andrew's Boys Band
Probably the late1950s.
Photo: courtesy Dick Gibson

 queen in MJ

HM Princess Elizabeth visits Moose Jaw in the 1950s
The St. Andrew's Boys Pipe Band is out to greet the young queen in Moose Jaw,
and piper Jim McWilliams begins his band career with a Royal performance!
Photo: courtesy Jim McWilliams

mj burns night 

Burns Night
The St. Andrew's Boys Pipe Band serves up haggis to the brave, 1952.
The pipers are Dick Gibson and Reg. Frizzell, with swordbearers Roland Binner and Garth Woodrow.
Ian McSporran carries the haggis.
Photo: courtesy Dick Gibson

moosejaw show
An early show in Moose Jaw, featuring Dick Gibson on pipes.
 hackle 70s

The White Hackle
At this time, the band was partly sponsored by the Moose Jaw Optimist Club.
Photo: courtesy Jim McWilliams

 hackle sprigs 1983
Two Moose Jaw Pipe Bands - 1983
Jim McWilliams and Lachlan McWilliams of the White Hackle; Wendy and Sharon Lee of the Sprigs o' Heather Girls' Pipe Band.
Photo: courtesy Jim McWilliams
hackle aust

The White Hackle
The band travelled widely in the 1980s, attending the Expo in Sydney, Australia and the one in Vancouver. They also travelled to Scotland, and to various locations in the USA. The small drummer at right is Ryan Sullivan (former L/D of City of Regina, Rocky Mountain and member of Alberta Caledonia and 78th Halifax Citadel) and the tall drummer beside him is ex-L/D for Alberta Caledonia, Tim Boan.

 hackle corps 96

The White Hackle Pipe Band Drum Corps
Saskatchewan Grade 3 Champions, 1996
(L-R) Kenna Whelan, Sunil Pandila, Mark Benson, Dan McDougall (L/D), Andy Kopciuck, Arvid Nash, Joyce Nash.

Sprigs o' Heather Girls' Pipe Band

 beginning
 

bookletYou can view a booklet produced by the band to celelbrate its 25th anniversary in 1981.

It includes a list of committee members, pipe majors, drum majors, instructors and details about performances, awards and travel.
Click on the image to see the complete booklet.
Thanks to Terry [McNamee] McDougall for supplying it.

sprigs1

These are the first members who went to Regina to play at CKCK.

L-R: Sheila Scott, Donna Rainey, Norrie Shephard, Shirly McDonald, Irene Scott, Alice Matheson, Betty Prentice. 

CLICK HERE for the large view.

 sprigs1957
The band's first official photo in 1957. P-M Sheila Scott.

Click HERE for large view.

 Sprigs 60s

Sprigs O' Heather Girls Pipe Band
Late 1960s


This picture of the Sprigs was taken in the late 60s and was given to piping instructor Jack Kerwin when he left Moose Jaw. Jack was involved in the old Prairie Pipe Band Association, and now lives in Nova Scotia. He was kind enough to e-mail this photo for use on the site.
The young women who signed the photo were:
Linda Lee, Sandy Meikle, Linda Cameron, Jane Binda, Tracey Poole, Mary-Gaye Bastido,

Colleen Watson, Marlene Mrourinski, Brenda Buchanan, Donna Dawson, Sandra McKenzie,

Jennifer King, Marlee Mitchell, Cathy Wilson, Jane Dobrenu, Cheryl Mitchell, Leslie Fysh,

Nancy Merikle, Darlene Peterman, Anita Peterman, Maureen Steel, Connie Crosby, Rorena Resch

 sprigs 61 lg

Sprigs O' Heather Girls Pipe Band - 1961
This picture of the Sprigs was taken in 1961. Photo: Dick Gibson.
See large size.

sprigs parade 71
Preparing for a parade. 1971 or '72
 sprigs70s lg
 Sprigs O' Heather Girls Pipe Band - 1970s

This picture of the Sprigs was taken sometime in the 1970s in Crescent Park, Moose Jaw.
See large size.
Photo: Dick Gibson.

sprigs 80s
The Sprigs O' Heather Girls Pipe Band
This photo was taken in the late 1970s during the Moose Jaw Kinsmen Band Festival
 springs lg

The Sprigs O' Heather Girls Pipe Band
This photo was taken in the early 1980s during the Moose Jaw Kinsmen Band Festival. The Sprigs are no longer in existence, but were one of Saskatchewan's best-known pipe bands for a number of years. The band travelled to Ontario and the Maritimes to compete, and to Scotland. The band wore the Dress MacDonald tartan.

 hackle sprigs 1983

Two Moose Jaw Pipe Bands

This photo was taken in 1983 and features L-R: Jim McWilliams and Lachlan McWilliams of the White Hackle Pipe Band, and Wendy and Sharon Lee of the Sprigs o' Heather Girls' Pipe Bans

 mural
 

Outdoor Mural in Moose Jaw
Following the disbandment of the Sprigs in the 1980s, the organization changed to become "The Heather Highlanders" for a few years, and some of the "old" Sprigs came back to play, along with others. This band never really got off the ground, but the executive contributed a sum of money toward purchasing an outdoor mural in Moose Jaw to commemorate the pipe band.

 

The 96th Highlanders

The 96th Highlanders Pipe Band
The current youth pipe band was named for the regiment when they brought together the Saskatoon Boys Pipe Band and the Bonnie Bluebells Girls Pipe Band into one unit.

For more great photos and history, see the 96th web page.

96thHighlanders1916

96th Overseas Battalion, Canadian Highlanders 1916
Photo: University of Saskatchewan online archive

Canada raised 260 battalions in WW I, one of which was the 96th Highlanders Battalion of the Canadian Expeditionary Force (CEF) from Saskatoon and area. Due to the high casualty rate of units already overseas, the 96th Highlanders battalion was eventually absorbed into other battalions as reinforcements.


The Pipes and Drums of the Saskatoon Light Infantry were formed in 1942 by Pipe Major Duncan Campbell at the request of the late Lt. Col. A. McNeil, Commanding Officer of the Second S.L.I. The Second S.L.I. were disbanded on the return of the First Battalion from overseas service in 1945 but the Pipes and Drums were adopted as the Band of the unit.

[From the 96th Highlanders web site]

 
 
 

Estevan (Elks) PPCLI Army Cadet Corps

This Corps was formed 1 Dec 1971 and known as 2901 Estevan (Elks) PPCLI Army Cadet Corps. It was sponsored by the BPO Elks Estevan Lodge 113. It was affiliated with 1 PPCLI.

A more complete history of the cadet corps and its activities can be found HERE.

This section describes the forming of the cadet pipe band, It was written by long-time cadet officer and SPBA Board Member Capt. Robert Rooks, CD.

2901 Estevan (Elks) Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry Royal Canadian Army Cadet Corps. (1971-80)The single largest undertaking of the corps was when the decision was made to form a pipe and drum band. Prior to the bands formation, DR. Donald Burlinquette, Robert Rooks and Captain Fred Slater spent about two years checking out the possibilities of this project. After talking to some pipers and other people involved with pipe bands, they gathered a lot of information but could not find any instructors. In June of 1976 when the corps hosted the Sprigs O'Heather pipe band from Moose Jaw during the Estevan Tatoo, their band manager, Doug, Uhrick told us of an excellent piper -- Mr. John (Jock) Chalmers of Weyburn and a top side drummer, Miss Irene Scott, an Estevan school teacher. After being approached these two instructors said they could teach the cadets how to play the pipes and drums but the instructors of the corps would have to handle the operation of the band. The corps liaison officer, Lieutenant Colonel Sandy Bannatyne, was approached and he gave the corps the tentative go ahead on behalf of the Elks Lodge. The Department of National Defence gave the corps the authority to form a band. Lieutenant Burlinquette was appointed Band Officer and the recruiting for pipers and drummers started in September, 1976. The band members practiced with only practice chanters and drum sticks until February, 1977 when the bagpipes and drums arrived from Scotland and England. The Estevan Elks Lodge No. 113 provided about $13,000.00 to pay for the instruments and uniforms. By May, 1977 the band had learned "Scotland the Brave" and performed at the Estevan Tatoo. In the fall of 1977 the kilts arrived. The kilt is the dark green "Hunting Stewrt" tartan, which was adopted by the PPCLI at the onset of World War I.

The band put a great strain on the corps with the other activities of the corps being somewhat neglected. However the corps achieved another first for the City of Estevan with the development of this pipe and drum band.

In the fall of 1978 the Corps set out to rebuild a strong corps with the band. By February, 1980 this objective has been achieved by having a full complement of highly trained officers and cadets. The Corps and band stand on a strong foundation and the future looks bright for a young and very proud cadet corps.

2901 1 Ken Turner

2901 4 Ken Turner

 

ppcli 1993

Photo Taken 1993
L-R: Captain Robert Rooks, P-M Glen-mary From, Mary Walliser, Angela Woodhouse, Michelle Walliser, Angela Durr
Back Row: Andrew Dinsmore, Curtis Dunford, Chad Wilmot, Lane Gross.

2901 5 Ken Turner

CC2901 15 Jun 2004

CC2901 2005 Pipes

 

sk.band.assoc sablogocolour1 saskculturelogoc lotteries